- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, very cold
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour*
- 1/3 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- In a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients combine tapioca, both sugars, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt.
- Cut plums in half and remove pit. Cut each plum half into about 4-5 pieces. Measure to obtain 8 cups. Place plums in tapioca/sugar mixture. Toss every 5-10 minutes while preparing pie crust. Tapioca needs to hydrate a minimum of 30 minutes before pie is baked. Meanwhile, prepare pie dough and streusel.
- Roll half of pie dough on a lightly floured surface into a circle and until it is large enough to cover a 9-inch-deep pie pan. Keep remaining dough in refrigerator.
- Cut away excess dough from sides and set on an aluminum foil-lined cookie tray for easy clean up after baking. Set aside. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- For streusel using a box grater, grate butter into flour or add butter precut in small pieces. Add sugar and salt. Using fingers work mixture until it resembles wet sand. Set aside.
- Arrange plum filling in pie crust and press firmly to ensure as few holes as possible.
- Sprinkle surface of plums with streusel and place in oven.
- Roll remaining pie dough about 1/8 inch or slightly thicker. Using a cookie cutter of choice (butterflies, leaves etc.) to make cutouts. Place on a parchment-lined cookie sheet.
- Brush surface lightly with water and sprinkle with a thin coat of granulated sugar. Place in oven for about 14 minutes or until lightly golden. Set aside.
- If surface of pie gets too dark drape it with aluminum foil. Total baking time will be at least 75 minutes. Pie is done when thick bubbles with a similar consistency to honey are visible on surface and may even be dripping out of pie.
- Remove from oven. Decorate with pie cutouts and powdered sugar.