Popcorn Eye Balls
- 3/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into small pieces, plus more to grease hands
- 1/2 cup bright white candy melt wafers, chopped into small pieces
- 18 cups popped popcorn
- Candy Clay
- 4 ounces white candy melts, melted and cooled slightly
- 4 teaspoons light corn syrup
- Blue, green, brown, and black icing coloring
- Black food coloring marker
- 2 ounces red candy melts, melted
- Pour sugar, salt, and corn syrup into a 4 cup or larger microwave-safe bowl.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Heat mixture on high power for 3 minutes and 10 seconds. Use an oven mitt or towel to help remove bowl of boiling sugar syrup from microwave. Very carefully remove plastic wrap allowing hot steam to escape.
- Add butter and candy melts to syrup and stir until melted using a clean rubber spatula. Return to microwave and heat on high power for 1 minute. Stir until glossy and smooth.
- Pour popcorn into an extra large mixing bowl. Pour hot syrup over popcorn. Toss until evenly coated. Allow to cool for 2-3 minutes and then using buttered hands, scoop and roll into 12 balls.
- Set popcorn balls on wax paper and allow them to cool completely while making Candy Clay for decoration.
- To make Candy Clay use a large microwave-safe bowl to melt and stir white candy melts and corn syrup just until combined. Pour white syrup onto a piece of plastic wrap, cover, and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Unwrap and knead candy clay until smooth. Reserve 1 teaspoon of white candy clay. Equally divide remaining candy clay into 4 pieces. Color pieces blue, green, brown and black.
- To make eyes, roll out blue, green, and brown candy clay to about 1/16-inch thickness and cut 4 1&3/4-inch circles from each color, re-rolling as needed.
- Roll out black candy clay and cut a total of 12 1-inch circles. Press one black circle onto each colored circle. Use a food coloring marker to make each circle look like an iris.
- To create a highlight in each eye, pinch off tiny pieces of white candy clay, roll them into balls, and press one onto each black pupil.
- To make eyes look bloodshot, pour melted red candy melts into a small zip top bag. Snip one tip off bag and pipe a small amount of candy melts on back of a candy clay eye. Press one onto each popcorn ball and then pipe red squiggles around popcorn ball to look like veins.
- Set popcorn balls aside for 30 minutes before packaging in plastic wrap or bags.
Dixie Crystals Insight
Recipe created for Dixie Crystals by Beth Jackson Klosterboer at Hungry Happenings.