Pound Cake with Berry Soup
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, soft
- 3 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
Red Berry Soup
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup strawberries
- 1 cup any berries-raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, black or red currants
- Optional: 2 tablespoons raspberry or kirsch (cherry) liquor
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter and flour a 10 inch tube or bundt pan or two 4 1/2 x 8 inch loaf pans, set aside.
- Cream butter until creamy, add sugar and cream further. Add eggs one at a time waiting for previous added egg to be fully incorporated. Scrape in between additions. Cream until light and fluffy. Add extract and vanilla.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Add one fourth of flour and combine, add a third of milk and combine. Repeat with flour and milk until all is incorporated.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan(s) and place in oven. Bake for approximately 70-80 minutes or until center bounces back when gently pressed or an inserted toothpick comes out clean. If cake becomes too dark cover with foil.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before removing from oven. If desired serve as is or with red berry soup.
- For red berry soup boil water and sugar and remove from heat. Let cool. Pour cooled syrup in a blender and blend with strawberries to a smooth puree. Remove from blender. Fold in remaining berries, vanilla and liquor if using.