- 1 1/2 cups blue corn masa, replace with white or yellow corn masa
- 3/4 cup powdered cacao
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
Cinnamon Vanilla Syrup
- 2 cups Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick broken into pieces
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or one vanilla pod
- 2 cups water
- For Pozel, make cacao masa by adding masa harina and powdered cacao in a deep bowl and combine using a whisk or a Danish dough whip.
- Add warm water in stages and hydrate masa.
- Depending on coarseness of corn, more or less water might be needed. Add it slowly while integrating masa with your hands.
- Form a masa ball. When masa doesn't stick to hands or bowl it is ready to use. Wrap it in plastic to keep it moist.
- For syrup, start by adding light brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla extract, and water into a saucepan.
- Whisk and cook for 10 minutes at medium heat until getting a syrupy consistency.
- Remove cinnamon stick from syrup and pour it into a mason jar and allow it to cool.
- Cut masa into small pieces and add it to a mixing bowl. Add fresh cold water and dilute masa with your hands or with an electric mixer.
- When masa is completely dissolved and mix looks luscious and somewhat thick add cinnamon vanilla syrup to your taste. And whip again.
- Serve Pozol in bowls with ice and garnish with edible flowers.
- When refrigerated, it will remain fresh for several weeks.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Adriana Martin @AdrianasBestRecipes.