Profiteroles with Peppermint Ice Cream and Chocolate Sauce
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 7 tablespoons unsalted
- Butter, in slices
- 1 cup + 3 tablespoons bread or all-purpose flour*
- 4 large eggs + 1 egg white
- Peppermint Ice Cream
- 2 1/4 cups milk
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Chocolate Sauce
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 chocolate bars (3.5 ounce each) 55-65% cocoa
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a saucepan large enough to hold all ingredients bring milk, water, sugar, salt and butter to a boil.
- Remove boiling mixture from heat and rapidly stir in the flour with a wooden or heat resistant rubber spatula.
- Return mixture to heat and stir for 1-2 minutes or until mixture forms a ball and the bottom of pan shows a dry layer.
- Remove from heat. Incorporating eggs can be done using a stand mixer or hand held mixer. Either scrape batter in a mixer bowl fitted with paddle attachment or scrape in a regular bowl.
- Mix in eggs and egg white one at a time waiting for previous added egg to be fully incorporated. Mix until smooth and shiny.
- The batter can be spooned or piped on parchment lined cookie sheets. If using a piping bag, fit bag with a medium piping tip and pipe batter into even mounds about 3-4 tablespoon amounts. Leave about 3 fingers of space between each mound.
- If spooning batter, spoon about 3-4 tablespoons of batter into an even mound onto cookie sheets leaving 3 fingers of space between each. The mounds can be evened out with a wet finger.
- Bake at 400° F for the first 10 minutes and then reduce temperature to 350°F and bake until very dry and crisp and deep golden.
- Do not underbake as this will cause the puffs to collapse. When you believe they are done, take one puff out the oven and feel sides, it should feel crisp. Let sit for 2-3 minutes, if it does not collapse, remove others from the oven.
- Once cooled, puffs can be frozen until needed.
- For ice cream: Combine milk with sugar and return to refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to ensure that sugar will fully dissolve. Add remaining ice cream ingredients and churn according to ice cream maker directions.
- For chocolate sauce: Chop chocolate in small pieces and set aside. Bring milk and cream to a boil and remove from heat. Whisk in chocolate.
- To serve reheat puffs in a 350°F oven. Slice in half and fill with ice cream and drizzle with chocolate sauce.
Everyone loves profiteroles because they are so delicious. Unfilled puffs can be frozen for weeks which make planning your dessert for a dinner party much easier.