Pumpkin Cake with Buttered Rum Glaze
- Pumpkin Cake
- 1 cup (2 sticks) sweet butter
- 2 cups Dixie Crystals Dark Brown Sugar
- 2 cups canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 4 eggs
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans)
- Buttered Rum Glaze
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Dark Brown Sugar
- 4 tablespoons dark rum
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour a 10-inch tube or bundt pan. Set aside
- Cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in pumpkin puree and add eggs 1 at a time, making sure each egg is fully incorporated before adding the next one.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and spices.
- Add sifted dry ingredients and sour cream alternatively to pumpkin mixture. Stir in 1/2 of nuts and pour or spoon batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cake cool at room temperature for 10 minutes before unmolding.
- Prepare buttered rum glaze: Melt butter in a small saucepan. Add sugars and stir well. Add rum, orange juice, and cream. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- Pour glaze over cake while still warm and top with remaining nuts.
- Allow cake to stand for at least an hour before slicing.
This recipe first appeared in 1983 in the Good News Cookbook series, vol III, no 9.