Pumpkin Crumb Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 11/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/3 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 cup, well packed Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter-very cold
- Cream Cheese Frosting
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare three 8- or 9-inch round cake pans. Create 3 parchment paper rounds to line each pan. Trace the bottom edge of a cake pan onto parchment paper and cut out using scissors. Repeat twice to create 3 liners.
- Place paper liners into each cake pan and brush paper and sides with melted butter or coat with baking spray. Sprinkle each pan evenly with flour and shake out excess. Set aside.
- Blend and sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger and salt. Set aside.
- In a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients, whisk egg until well blended. Add sugar and whip until thick and pale, about 5 minutes. On low speed, add vanilla and pumpkin ensuring a light mixture.
- Stir in flour mixture and mix until just combined to retain air cells obtained by whipping eggs. Scoop and divide evenly into prepared pans.
- Bake all cakes for 13-15 minutes until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Turn each pan upside down on plastic wrap lined work surface. Keep cake pans over cakes and cool completely.
- Prepare crumble by combining flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger and salt in a bowl. Using a cheese grater, grate very cold butter into small pieces directly onto flour mixture.
- Rub between your hands to turn streusel into crumbles.
- Scatter crumbles onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Place in oven and bake until fragrant and nearly crisp, about 13-16 minutes. Let cool.
- Prepare Cream Cheese Frosting.
- When cakes have cooled, place a cake round on a serving platter and remove parchment paper. Spread cake round with a layer of cream cheese frosting.
- Remove parchment paper from second layer and place onto frosted cake round. Frost once again with cream cheese frosting. Remove parchment paper from third layer and place onto frosted cake round.
- Spread an even coat of cream cheese frosting on surface and sides.
- Stick baked crumble pieces on sides and top of cake.
- Place remaining frosting in a piping bag fitted with a medium star tip and pipe rosettes on surface.
- Serve cake at room temperature. This cake will be more moist a day after it is made.