Pumpkin Cupcakes with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup well packed Dixie Crystals Dark Brown Sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 can (15 oz) pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Maple Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 packages (8 oz each) cream cheese, room temperature
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 pounds Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter and flour 24 muffin / cupcake cups or line with paper cups and set aside.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, and spices and set aside.
- Beat oil and sugars until combined and add one egg. When well mixed in add remaining eggs one at a time waiting for previous added egg to be fully incorporated before adding next. Add pumkin puree, salt, and vanilla extract.
- In one step add dry ingredients and mix briefly until just combined. Fill muffin tins evenly 3/4 full and place in oven.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until center of muffins bounce back when lightly pressed or an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Let cool and remove from pans.
- Prepare Maple Cream Cheese Frosting: In a stand mixer bowl or in a large bowl using a hand mixer, add cream cheese and butter and mix until thoroughly combined. Add powdered sugar in two batches and mix thoroughly.
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of heavy cream and mix on medium speed for 3-5 minutes. Add maple syrup and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Store frosting in refrigerator if not using immediately.
- Using a piping bag with coupler and tip or an offset spatula, frost cupcakes.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Julie Deily @TheLittleKitchen