- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 can (15 oz) pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup warm milk
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar, for dusting
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- For filling, melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add brown sugar, stirring to combine. Cook for 3 minutes, until sugar has dissolved. Add pumpkin puree, vanilla extract, and ground cinnamon. Stir to combine and cook an additional three minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place filling in bowl and allow to cool complete. Once cooled, cover and place in fridge until ready to assemble empanadas. Filling can be made up to 3 days in advance and stored in fridge.
- In a food processor add flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Pulse to combine. Add shortening and pulse to combine. Slowly add milk, process until dough comes together. Turn out onto a lightly floured work surface; knead until smooth. Cover; let rest 30 minutes in refrigerator before using.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Roll out chilled dough on a lightly floured surface. Using a drinking glass, cut out round disc shapes for empanadas. Spoon pumpkin filling in center of each empanada disc. Fold, seal with a fork along the edge and then place on a baking sheet.
- Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely.
- Dust with powdered sugar just before serving, if desired.
Dixie Crystals Insight
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Vianney Rodriguez @sweetlifebake.com
Rate & Review
Log in or Register to post comments