Pumpkin Pie Bread Pudding
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups (300g) Dixie Crystals Light or Dark Brown Sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon (6g) cinnamon (Vietnamese preferred)
- 1 teaspoon (2g) dried ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves (optional)
- 1/2 (3g) teaspoon salt
- 1-15 ounce can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 3 cups (720g) milk
- 15 cups (540g) day old bread pieces/chunks, from about 15 average size slices
- 1 1/2 cups (225g) raisins
- 1 cup (120g) walnut or pecan pieces
- 2 tablespoons (28g) melted butter
- 3 tablespoons (37g) Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- In a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients whisk eggs until well blended. Add sugar and whisk rapidly until smooth.
- Add vanilla, spices, and salt. Whisk in pumpkin puree and once smooth add milk. Remove whisk and replace with it with a rubber or wooden spatula.
- Add bread pieces and stir together. Mixture will be very wet-looking. Let it sit for 20 minutes and stir occasionally.
- Meanwhile, turn oven to 350°F.
- Prepare pan: Line a 9 x 13-inch pan with aluminum foil. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with granulated sugar. Set aside.
- Add raisins and nuts to pumpkin mixture.
- Transfer mixture to prepared pan and place in oven.
- Bake for approximately 50-60 minutes or until center has puffed and is set.
- While bread pudding is baking, prepare Whiskey Caramel Sauce.
- Serve bread pudding warm with Whiskey Caramel Sauce and Crème Chantilly, if desired.
*Hint: To save a little money, look in the bakery section for loaves or yeast rolls that have been marked down due to being stale.