Pumpkin Pie With Hazelnut Streusel
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons hazelnuts or pieces, raw or toasted
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 stick + 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, soft
- 2/3 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Pumpkin Pie Filling
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 380°F. Line bottom of a 9-inch pie pan with a round cut out of parchment paper. Set aside.
- Place about half of pre-measured all-purpose flour along with hazelnuts in a food processor and mix until hazelnuts are a fine meal. Add remaining flour and cinnamon and set aside.
- Mix butter until light and fluffy, add sugar followed by egg white and salt; mix until well combined.
- Add dry ingredients and mix very briefly until dough is just combined.
- Divide hazelnut dough in half and place half in a refrigerator.
- Press non-chilled hazelnut dough evenly into pie tin. If it sticks too much place it in freezer for a few minutes.
- Prick bottom of pie dough and bake until edges are golden and crust feels and looks completely baked, about 13-15 minutes. During the baking process keep an eye on the shell ensuring that it does not shrink or create a hole. If it does, take some raw dough and stick it into the place that needs it.
- Remove crust from oven and set aside. Lower oven heat to 350°F.
- In a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients whisk eggs until no strings remain. Add pumpkin puree, sugar, and salt.
- Add spices, milk, and heavy cream.
- Pour into prebaked pie shell and bake for approximately 55 minutes or until center is set and no longer trembles.
- Meanwhile, prepare streusel: Grate remaining chilled hazelnut dough onto large eyes of a box grater onto a parchment lined cookie sheet. Place in oven and bake until lightly golden and crisp, about 23 minutes. Once cooled keep in a plastic bag.
- Place pie in refrigerator until ready to serve. Just before serving, sprinkle with hazelnut streusel, and if desired, top with crème Chantilly.