Pumpkin Praline Upside Down Cake
- 3 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons cinnamon (Vietnamese preferred)
- 2 teaspoons dried ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 2 sticks (16 tablespoons) unsalted butter, soft
- 1 1/2 cups Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar, well packed
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons orange zest, no white bitter pith
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 can pumpkin (15 oz), not pumpkin pie filling
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces
Pecan Caramel Topping
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Butter and flour a 10-inch bundt or tube pan. Set aside.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and cardamom; set aside.
- Cream butter until light and fluffy. Add sugars and mix further. Add salt and then eggs one at a time waiting for previously added egg to be fully incorporated. Scrape bowl often. Mix until mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add orange zest, vanilla extract, and pumpkin puree.
- Add dry ingredients and mix until combined. Scrape bottom well to ensure that mixture is completely smooth.
- Sprinkle pecan pieces on bottom of prepared pan. Scrape batter into pan covering pecans.
- Bake until can inserted toothpick comes out clean. About 65-70 minutes. Let sit in pan for 10 minutes before removing.
- Prepare pecan caramel topping by boiling cream, butter, salt, and sugar together in a saucepan. Boil and stir for about 2-3 minutes and remove from heat. Mix in vanilla and orange zest.
- Decorate cake with pecan halves and drizzle caramel topping onto cake and pecans.
Dixie Crystals Insight
- Select flour with 3 grams/protein on nutrition facts label.
- Ovens vary in temperature and pan sizes as well, therefore when baking this cake trust your baking instinct rather than time.