Pumpkin Raisin Scones
- 1 3/4 cups self-rising flour*
- 1/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 5 1/3 tablespoons salted butter, firm
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup pumpkin, fresh or canned
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 3 - 6 tablespoons heavy cream, as needed
- Colored sugar
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a bowl mix flour and sugar, cube butter into flour mixture, cut butter into flour mix. Add egg, vanilla, pumpkin, mix by hand just until dough holds together...use heavy cream if needed. Mix in raisins.
- On a lightly floured surface knead dough 8-10 times. Pat onto a 8-inch disc on a coolie sheet, cut into 8 wedges, do not separate. Brush with heavy cream and sprinkle with colored sugar, bake 15-18 minutes until lightly brown. Enjoy!
These scones are good, but not sweet enough for me. I like a sweet and crunchy scone. This is a cake-like scone. My husband, who does not have a sweet tooth loved these scones!