Queen of Sheba Cake
- 4-ounce bar quality chocolate or 2/3 cup chocolate chips (about 55-60% cocoa)
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, very soft
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons Almond liquor, Rum, or orange juice
- 3 large egg yolks, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup almond flour*
- 1/2 cup minus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour*
- 4 large egg whites
- 2 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour a spring form pan or line bottom and sides with parchment paper and set aside.
- If using chocolate in a bar form cut it to chocolate chip size pieces. Place in a microwave oven proof bowl and heat in 10 second increments until melted. Set aside.
- In a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients mix butter until creamy. Add sugar and salt and mix until light and fluffy. Add liquor and once mixed in add melted chocolate.
- Add one egg yolk at a time followed by vanilla extract.
- Fold in almond flour followed by all-purpose flour.
- In a separate bowl whip egg whites and remaining sugar to medium peaks. Gently fold one fourth of egg whites into batter. Add another fourth and once combined add remaining whipped egg whites.
- Transfer to prepared pan and place in oven.
- Bake for approximately 25-30 minutes or until center bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger.
- For chocolate glaze, bring water to a boil. Remove from heat and whisk in chocolate.
- Spread chocolate glaze on cake and quickly place almond slivers around the edge of the cake before the glaze sets.