Raspberry Cream Sugar Cookie Sandwiches
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Raspberry Cream Filling
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup raspberry jam
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 drop red food coloring (optional)
- 1 3/4 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cream of tartar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla extract, mixing until combined. Add flour mixture 1/2 cup at a time, mixing until completely combined.
- Roll one tablespoon of dough into balls and place on prepared baking sheet, leaving about 1-inch for spreading.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until centers are set. Cookies will not look browned or cooked, but they are (they will finish cooking while cooling on cookie sheet).
- Remove from oven and let cookies rest on baking sheet for 5 minutes. Then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the Raspberry Cream Filling, beat cream cheese, butter, and jam together until smooth. Beat in almond extract and food coloring. Reduce speed to low, then sift in powdered sugar a little at a time.
- Once sugar is incorporated, increase mixer speed to high and beat until mixture is smooth.
- To fill and assemble cookies, use an offset spatula or a piping bag and spread or pipe desired amount of filling on back side of one cookie, leaving a small margin at the edges. Top with a second cookie to create a “sandwich.”
- Enjoy immediately or store leftovers in the fridge. Cookies are best served fresh, but are good for up to 5 days.
Dixie Crystals Insight
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Jessica Segarra @TheNoviceChef.