Red Velvet Cake Roll
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour*
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 large eggs
- 3 large yolks
- 3/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon red food color gel or paste
- 3 large egg whites, no traces of egg yolk!
- 2 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 420°F.
- Sift together flour, cocoa powder, and baking powder. Set aside.
- Line a jelly roll pan (12.5x17.5-inches) with parchment paper and brush lightly with melted butter. Sprinkle evenly with flour and shake out excess. Set aside.
- Using a stand or handheld mixer, beat eggs and yolks until well combined. Add 3/4 cup sugar and whip for at least 7 minutes on medium speed and until the mixture is thick, mousse-like and pale.
- On lowest speed add vanilla, buttermilk, salt, and red food color. Mix only until everything is combined.
- Using a handheld spatula delicately fold in the dry sifted ingredients to retain a light, airy, and fluffy mixture.
- In a separate bowl, whip egg whites with remaining sugar until soft peaks form. Do not whip until stiff.
- Add whipped egg whites to batter and fold very delicately.
- Pour onto prepared jelly roll pan and spread as evenly as possible.
- Place in oven and bake until edges of cake begin to retract from the sides of the pan in a few areas, about 13-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and while still hot, sift evenly with a thin coat of Powdered Sugar.
- Turn over immediately onto a large kitchen towel. Keep cake pan on top to retain over cake until cake is completely cold.
- Meanwhile, prepare Cream Cheese Icing.
- Remove jelly roll pan followed by parchment paper. Oftentimes the very top layer of cake will peel off, if so, remove it.
- Place cake with its wide horizontal side towards you. Spread 3/4 of cream cheese frosting evenly over the surface. Starting with the bottom, use a kitchen towel roll up cake tightly.
- Lay roll with the seam on bottom. Using your kitchen towel transfer roll onto a serving tray. If you encounter difficulty, keep roll in the kitchen towel and place it on the back of the jelly roll pan. Place in refrigerator to properly firm up.
- Pipe additional frosting on the surface of cake roll for decoration.