Red Velvet Cake with White Chocolate Frosting
Red Velvet Cake
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 1/2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons (1 oz) red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
White Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 2 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 6 ounces white chocolate
- 6 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Sift together flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together oil, buttermilk, eggs, food coloring, vinegar, and vanilla extract.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet just until a batter forms.
- Line three 8-inch round baking pans with foil and lightly coat with nonstick cooking spray.
- Divide batter evenly between three pans. Bake for 25-30 minutes, just until a toothpick inserted comes out clean and edges begin to pull away from sides of pan. Let cool completely before frosting.
- For frosting, use a stand mixer to cream butter for 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat heavy whipping cream in a microwave, and then pour over white chocolate in a small bowl. Let it sit for a minute to melt white chocolate. Stir until smooth. Heat in microwave for an additional 30 seconds if needed. Let cool for a couple of minutes until mixture is no longer hot, but still warm and melted.
- While stand mixer is running on medium, drizzle melted white chocolate mixture into butter. Mix until smooth and thick, scraping down sides as needed.
- Mix powdered sugar in one cup at a time. Include vanilla with first cup. Mix until smooth before each new addition.
- To assemble, place a cake round on a serving platter and spread with 1/4 of white chocolate buttercream frosting.
- Cover with second cake layer and spread another 1/4 of white chocolate buttercream frosting.
- Place last cake layer on top. Frost cake using remaining frosting.
- Place frosted cake in a refrigerator until frosting has firmed.
Dixie Crystals Insight
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Ashton Swank @keatseats.
Rate & Review
Log in or Register to post comments