Red Velvet Cinnamon Rolls
Red Velvet Dough
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cold
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 2 large eggs
- Red food coloring
- 5 cups all-purpose flour*
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- For dough, scald milk over medium-high heat (milk should be about 180ºF). Stir continually so milk does not burn.
- Remove from heat and add cold butter, which will help in bringing temperature down faster. Stir as butter melts. Milk needs to cool to 125ºF (think warm bath water).
- Dissolve yeast into 1/4 cup warm water (about 125ºF or the same temp as a warm bath) with 1 tablespoon sugar.
- While milk is cooling, whisk eggs and 1/2 cup sugar in bowl of a stand mixer. Add red food coloring until dough reaches your desired color.
- Whisk in yeast water and cooled milk.
- Sift flour, cocoa powder, and salt into mixing bowl. Use bread hook to mix and knead.
- Beat mixture for 5-6 minutes until dough forms. Dough will be a little tacky, but it should be smooth enough that it’s pulling away from sides of bowl easily. If it isn’t, add a tablespoon of flour at a time until it reaches desired consistency.
- Loosely cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm place for about 30 minutes.
- Grease a 9 x 9-inch baking pan with cooking spray. (You can make a larger batch of smaller rolls in a 9 x 13-inch baking dish, but be sure to adjust baking time to be about 10 minutes less.)
- Lightly flour your work surface then roll dough into a 1/4-inch thick rectangle.
- For filling, brush dough with melted butter. In a medium bowl, whisk together brown sugar, sugar, and cinnamon. Sprinkle cinnamon-sugar mixture evenly over buttered dough.
- Beginning at long end, roll dough into a log. Slice off ends then slice log into 9 rolls. (Use baker’s twine or fishing line to neatly cut the rolls).
- Place rolls in greased baking dish and loosely cover them with plastic wrap. Let rise for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Uncover rolls and bake them for 30 minutes or until they are no longer doughy.
- Let rolls cool for a little bit before frosting.
- For frosting, use an electric mixer to beat together cream cheese, butter, vanilla, and powdered sugar until a smooth frosting forms. Spread frosting over warm cinnamon rolls and serve.
Dixie Crystals Insight
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Ashton Swank @keatseats.