Red Velvet Hershey’s Kiss Cookies
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, very soft
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red food color, gel type
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 bag (10 oz) Hershey’s kisses
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Mix soft butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add one egg and mix until completely mixed in. Add remaining egg, salt, and red food color. Mix until fluffy.
- Sift together flour, cocoa, and baking powder and add in one step to above. Mix until just combined.
- Dough is easiest to work with when chilled for 30 minutes in freezer or refrigerator overnight. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Scoop into 2 teaspoon amounts and roll into a ball. Roll dough balls into powdered sugar.
- Place on parchment lined, buttered cookie sheets or silicone baking mat about 3/4 inch apart as cookies will spread in oven.
- Place in oven. To obtain a soft cookie bake 9-10 minutes, for a slightly firmer cookie bake 10-11 minutes.
- Once cookies are lukewarm top each with a chocolate kiss. Make certain that cookies are not warmer than lukewarm as it would melt kisses. If applied when lukewarm, bottom of kisses will melt just a tiny bit and will properly stick to cookies.