Red Velvet Waffles
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- Red food coloring as desired
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Preheat waffle iron according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- In bowl of a stand mixer, beat together eggs, buttermilk, butter, vanilla and vinegar on low speed until combined. Add red food coloring to reach desired red color.
- Combine milk mixture into dry ingredients until combined.
- Cook waffles according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Serve with cream cheese icing or glaze, if desired.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Susan Whetzel @doughmesstic.