Red White & Blue Poke Cake
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups cold water
- 1 box (4-serving size) strawberry gelatin
- 1 box (4-serving size) blue raspberry gelatin
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 (3.4-oz) package vanilla instant pudding
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- Red and blue sprinkles, optional
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Add melted butter, vinegar, vanilla, and water. Mix until combined. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool for 15 minutes. Poke holes all over the cake using a large skewer or a chopstick.
- In a measuring cup, or bowl with spout, mix strawberry gelatin with 3/4 cup hot water. Stir to dissolve gelatin. Add 1/2 cup cold water. Repeat process with blue raspberry gelatin. Pour mixtures alternatively into holes. Cover the with plastic wrap and let chill in the fridge for 4 hours or overnight.
- To make frosting, mix half-and-half with pudding mix. Whisk until pudding sets. Set aside.
- Using an electric beater, whip heavy cream and powdered sugar until stiff peaks form. Fold cream gently into pudding.
- Spread evenly over cooled cake. Top with red and blue sprinkles.