Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with Sweet & Spicy Pecan Pesto
- Pecan Pesto
- 1/2 cup pecan halves
- 1 tablespoon Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- 3 cups peeled butternut squash, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup peeled and cored Granny Smith apple, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium peeled red onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 3 medium peeled garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 ounce piece Parmesan cheese
- Pecan Pesto: Place pecans in a medium skillet over medium heat, shake skillet often until pecans are golden all over about 4 minutes; add 2 tablespoons brown sugar, chili powder and sage. Continue shaking skillet until sugar melts and coats pecans, remove from heat.
- Transfer pecans to food processor along with olive oil and Parmesan cheese, process until smooth. Scrape mixture into small bowl, set aside.
- Butternut Squash Soup: Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place squash, apples, onion and garlic on a large rimmed baking sheet, drizzle oil over and sprinkle with brown sugar and sea salt; toss to coat then spread ingredients out onto baking sheet.
- Place baking sheet in center of oven and roast until squash is golden and just tender turning once with a large metal spatula about 35-40 minutes total.
- Working in 2 batches place half of squash mixture with 2 cups chicken broth in food processor, pulse until smooth then transfer to large saucepan repeat with remaining squash mixture and chicken broth. Heat mixture over medium heat stirring often until warmed through.
- Whisk in yogurt, whisking until just heated through. To serve ladle soup into 6 bowls, top with a dollop of pecan pesto and last with a vegetable peeler shave Parmesan cheese over.
Dixie Crystals Insight
First place winner in Imperial Sugar’s 2012 Homemade Holidays Recipe Contest!