- 2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 5 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 2/3 cup milk or heavy cream
- 48 Rolo chocolates, unwrapped
- 1/4 cup caramel sauce
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 300ºF. Prep cupcake tin with liners and set aside.
- Whisk together sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add in eggs, milk and oil. Mix well. Stir in vanilla. Carefully mix in boiling water. Batter will be liquid-like.
- Pour batter 3/4 full in prepared pan.
- Press 1 Rolo candy into the center of each cupcake.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cupcakes cool completely.
- To make frosting, use an electric mixer to whisk together melted butter and cocoa powder. Once smooth and shiny, mix in vanilla.
- Mix frosting while alternating powdered sugar and milk until desired consistency is reached.
- Pipe frosting onto each cupcake and drizzle with 1/2 teaspoon caramel sauce.
- Top each cupcake with a Rolo chocolate.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Angie Barrett @BigBearsWife.
Rolo® is the fully owned trademark of The Hershey Company. All Rights Reserved.