- 1/3 cup blanched almonds
- 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 6 cups milk
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 8 large egg yolks, at room temperature
- 1 cup rum or brandy, optional
- In a food processor pulse almonds with 2 tablespoons of sugar until fine.
- In a large saucepan simmer milk, cinnamon sticks, ground nutmeg, vanilla extract, and remaining sugar mixing occasionally until sugar dissolves, about ten minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in finely ground almond mixture.
- In a bowl beat egg yolks until light and creamy. Slowly ladle in milk mixture stirring continuously until all is incorporated.
- Return to saucepan and simmer, stirring until mixture thickens, about 10 minutes. Mixture should coat back of spoon. Remove from heat, stir in rum, and serve warm.