Rugelach Cookies with Apricot & Walnuts
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cold
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cold
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Zest of 1 lemon (no white bitter pith)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dried apricots
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 4 teaspoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place flour in a food processor. Cut butter and cream cheese in tablespoon size chunks and add to flour. Add sugar, salt, lemon and vanilla extract.
- Pulse machine just until dough forms, do not overmix. Visible remaining small pieces of butter and cream cheese are desired and will contribute to flakiness.
- Divide dough in 4 equal pieces, shape into a round and press into 1 inch thickness. Place in refrigerator or freezer for about 45 minutes or until cold enough to roll.
- Meanwhile chop dried apricots and walnuts into small pieces.
- Remove one round from refrigerator and roll dough into a 8 inch round dusting bottom and top very lightly with flour.
- Sprinkle with 1/4 of apricots and walnuts, 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon and 1 teaspoon of sugar.
- Cut into 12 wedges using a knife. Starting from wider base of each wedge, roll dough towards point.
- Place on parchment lined or buttered cookie sheets.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake until Rugelach is golden brown, about 18 minutes.
Rugelach can be filled with just about anything including chocolate, jam, preserves, ground nuts, peanut butter or honey.