- 6 cups cold water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 whole allspice
- 2 cardamon pods, bruised
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 lemon peel
- 4 tea bags (black tea)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 ounces dark rum or brandy per serving (optional)
- Freshly ground nutmeg for garnish
- Lemon slices
- Add water, cinnamon, allspice, cardamon, cloves, and lemon peel to a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat, add tea bags, steep for 5 minutes. Remove tea bags.
- Return to a low heat, Add lemon juice, orange juice, and brown sugar. Heat gently until warmed through. Taste and add more sugar if desired. Remove spices and peel.
- Ladle into mugs, add rum if desired. Grate fresh nutmeg on top and add a lemon slice.