Rustic Cherry Cobbler
- 2 (15 ounce) cans of sweet dark cherries, pitted
- 3/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour*
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned oats
- 3/4 cup packed Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Add pitted cherries, sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, and almond extract to a large bowl and gently toss to combine and coat fruit evenly.
- Pour out filling into a large glass pan (or two smaller pans) and spread into an even layer.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt and stir to combine evenly. Cut in chilled butter pieces with a pastry blender until small clumps form.
- Scatter topping over fruit in pan in evenly sized dollups.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until the topping is golden-brown and fruit filling is bubbling.
- Remove from oven and garnish with a sprinkling of granulated sugar on top. Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or dollop of Creme Chantilly, a sprinkle of cinnamon or a fresh pitted cherry. Enjoy!
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Ashley Schoenith @heirloomedblog.