Salted Caramel Apple Butter
- Start by making Apple Butter. Peel, core, and chop apples.
- Add them to a large pot along with water. Over medium-high heat, cook apples just until tender- about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove apples with a slotted spoon and transfer them to a food processor or high powered blender. Discard cooking liquid. Puree apples and then return to pot.
- Add sugar and cinnamon and stir well. Bring applesauce to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Stirring frequently, cook until applesauce is thick and has a spreadable consistency turning into apple butter.
- This will take anywhere from 20-30 minutes depending on the pot you use and moisture in your apples. Remove from heat and stir in the salted caramel.
- While apple butter is simmering, make caramel sauce.
- In a medium skillet add butter, brown sugar, and maple syrup. Over medium heat, whisk until butter is melted and the mixture is bubbly and thick. Whisk for 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in salt and heavy cream.
- Keep caramel sauce warm and stir into apple butter.
- Store apple butter in glass jars. Let apple butter come to room temperature before storing in fridge for up to 1 month.
Dixie Crystals Insight
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Kelley Epstein @Mountain Mama Cooks.