Salted Caramel Chocolate Coffee Bars
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 3/4 cups packed Dixie Crystals Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 cup rough chopped toasted pecans
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon medium coarse sea salt
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place flour, 1 cup brown sugar, 3/4 cup butter and espresso powder in food processor, pulse until coarse crumbs form.
- Press mixture into a 13 x 9 x 2 inch metal baking pan. Bake in center of oven until light golden about 15 minutes. Maintain oven temperature.
- Meanwhile make a caramel sauce by bringing remaining brown sugar, remaining butter and cream to a boil in a small saucepan over high heat stirring until sugar dissolves. Boil 1 minute more without stirring then remove from heat.
- Sprinkle pecans over crust then pour caramel sauce over next. Return baking pan to oven and bake for 20 minutes. Remove pan from oven, sprinkle chocolate chips over top. Let stand for 5 minutes so chocolate melts. Using an offset spatula spread chocolate evenly over top and then sprinkle salt over top. Place bars in refrigerator to chill about 20 minutes. Cut into 1 1/2 inch bars.
Dixie Crystals Insight
Tested by Gerry Speirs @Foodness Gracious.