Salted Caramel Cookie Bars
- 1 1/2 sticks (6 ounces) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 1/2 cups (6.75 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups (9 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 11 ounces caramel candy squares, unwrapped
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- Flaked sea salt
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8 by 8-inch pan with aluminum foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine butter with sugar and stir until smooth. If still very hot, let cool slightly. Stir in egg, egg yolk, and vanilla until smooth. Add in salt and flour and stir until combined. Gently stir in chocolate chips.
- In a microwave-safe bowl combine caramels and heavy cream. Microwave in 30 second bursts, stirring between bursts, until mixture is melted and smooth. Be careful not to overheat.
- Press half cookie dough evenly into prepared pan. Pour the caramel evenly over dough. Sprinkle all over with sea salt. Scoop remaining dough into spoonfuls over caramel, gently spreading until caramel is mostly covered. Sprinkle with additional sea salt.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Allow to cool to room temperature before chilling for 30 minutes to make bars easier to cut. Slice into large bars or squares and serve. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Dixie Crystals Insight
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Tessa Arias @HandletheHeat.