Salted Caramel Dark Chocolate Shortbread Bars
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
Salted Caramel Layer
Dark Chocolate Layer
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 12 ounces high-quality dark chocolate, chopped
- Sprinkle of sea salt
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9 x 9-inch baking dish.
- In bowl of a stand mixer, beat butter and sugar until creamed and fluffy. Add salt and vanilla and combine. With mixer on low speed, slowly add in flour and mix just until incorporated. Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish and pat into an even layer.
- Bake shortbread for 15-16 minutes until edges are golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- While shortbread cools, make the caramel sauce: combine sweetened condensed milk, butter and brown sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Allow butter to melt, stirring occasionally. Slowly bring mixture to a boil, reduce the heat and continue to stir until mixture reaches a caramel color, about 8 minutes. Stir in the Maldon sea salt. Pour the caramel over cooled shortbread. Transfer dish to a refrigerator for 30 minutes for caramel to set.
- In final minutes of refrigeration, prepare ganache. Place chopped chocolate in a medium heat-proof bowl.
- Heat heavy cream over medium heat. When cream is steaming and bubbly, (but before it boils) pour over chopped chocolate and stir with a wooden spoon until smooth and shiny. Pour over chilled caramel layer. Sprinkle sea salt over the top.
- Return dessert to refrigerator to chill for 1-2 more hours to set caramel and ganache fully. Cut and serve chilled.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Cassie Laemmli @Bake Your Day.