Salted Caramel Peanut Butter Bars
- 1/2 cup crushed pretzels
- 1 cup all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar, well-packed
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 (7 oz) jars marshmallow crème
- 1 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 1/2 cups salted cocktail peanuts
- 1 (16 oz) bag vanilla caramels, unwrapped
- 4 tablespoons milk
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 13x9-inch baking pan with foil extending foil over edges of pan. Set aside.
- Place crushed pretzels in a food processor and grind to a rough powder. Set aside.
- In a small bowl combine flour, ground pretzels, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter on medium-high speed for 30 seconds. Add brown sugar, egg yolks, and vanilla. Beat until combined scraping sides of bowl as necessary.
- Add dry mixture to wet mixer and combine with a mixer.
- Press dough evenly onto bottom of prepared baking pan. Push dough out to reach all four corners of pan.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until light brown.
- While dough is baking, combine marshmallow crème and peanut butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave, uncovered, on high for one minute or until softened and slightly melted, stirring after 30 seconds. Stir in powdered sugar. Spread marshmallow mixture over hot crust and push down to cover entire crust. Sprinkle evenly with peanuts.
- In a large saucepan combine caramels and milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until melted and smooth. Pour caramel mixture evenly over peanut butter marshmallow layer.
- Cool in pan on wire rack until bars reach room temperature. Caramel will firm as bars cool.
- When ready to cut, lift bars out of pan using foil overhang. Place on a cutting board and cut into bars. If caramel is too sticky refrigerate for 20-30 minutes to firm caramel. Bars best served at room temperature.
- Store in a single layer in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week. If refrigerated, allow bars to come to room temperate before eating.