*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Form Dough: Cream butter with sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in vanilla extract.
- Gradually beat in flour to form a soft dough, then stir in pecans.
- Roll dough into small 1-inch bails and place about 1/2 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake in center of a preheated 325°F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until very light browned.
- Dust with sugar: Cool cookies on baking sheet about 1 minute, then loosen with a spatula and carefully toss in a bag of confectioners sugar until well coated. Cool thoroughly on a rack, then store in a single layer in an airtight container.
- Sift additional confectioners sugar over tops of cookies at serving time if needed.
This recipe was originally published in 1994 in our HomeMade Good News cookbook series.