Sky High Cranberry Meringue Pie
- Cookie-style Pie Crust
- 1 stick unsalted butter, very soft
- 2/3 cup Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- Cranberry Filling
- 1 (12 oz) bag (3 1/2 cups) frozen or fresh cranberries
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 3/4 teaspoons gelatin
- 6 large egg whites
- 1 1/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- Zest of 2 lemons, no white bitter pith
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Use a stand mixer to mix butter and powdered sugar using a paddle attachment, until well blended. Add egg and mix until well combined. Add salt and vanilla.
- Add flour in one step and mix on low speed until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Press dough flat and evenly onto a sheet of plastic wrap. Place dough in refrigerator or freezer for 30 minutes or until well chilled. Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Meanwhile, chill work surface for rolling dough by placing 1 or 2 cookie sheets filled with ice cubes on area. Set aside a 9-inch pie tin.
- Sprinkle chilled area lightly with flour and roll dough into a circle large enough to cover entire pie tin. Place dough into tin and remove excess dough. Press dough into any cracks or tears. Prick bottom and sides with a fork and place in oven. Place in oven and bake for approximately 13 minutes or until golden and edges are light brown. Set aside.
- In a non-reactive saucepan, bring cranberries, water and sugar to a boil. Simmer on low for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Use either an immersion blender in the saucepan or a traditional blender to puree cranberry mixture until very smooth. If you prefer, pour mixture thru a sieve to remove seeds.
- Mix water and gelatin well and set aside for at least 3 minutes then add into cranberry mixture and mix well. Pour mixture into baked shell and place uncovered in refrigerator for 1 hour to set.
- Wait to prepare meringue to allow cranberry filling to set properly.
- For meringue, use a hand held whip to combine egg whites, and sugar in a bowl and whip over low simmering water to 145°F. Remove from heat and continue whipping using a machine until meringue is thick, fluffy and lukewarm or slightly cooler. Fold in lemon zest. Spoon meringue onto surface of pie and using a spatula make spikes on surface.
- Use a blowtorch to brown meringue or place tarts briefly under preheated broiler or in an oven at 475°F.
Dixie Crystals Insight
To save time, you can replace the cookie-style pie dough with a Graham Cracker crust.
Rate & Review
Log in or Register to post comments