Soft Rum Caramels
- Add parchment paper to a 9 x 9-inch pan and set it aside.
- In a high-sided pot over medium-high heat, add granulated sugar, light corn syrup, and kosher salt.
- Stir mixture to help dissolve sugar into corn syrup. Make sure to keep slowly stirring as you do not want any hot spots in pan to burn sugars.
- Once mixture starts to gently bubble, and granulated sugar has dissolved, VERY SLOWLY drizzle in heavy creamy while continually stirring. You do not want mixture to stop bubbling, so you must drizzle this cold heavy creamy in very slowly.
- When all heavy cream has been added, add in butter while continually stirring.
- Continue gently stirring, until mixture has reached 245°F, on a candy or instant-read thermometer, about 15-20 minutes.
- Once mixture has reached 245°F, remove from heat and quickly stir in rum extract. Immediately pour hot caramel into prepared pan.
- Let it sit on counter for a few hours to set up and slightly harden.
- Once cooled and caramel is set up, remove parchment from pan, cut caramel into squares, wrap it in wax paper, and enjoy.
Dixie Crystals Insight
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Jessica Segarra @TheNoviceChef.