Sour Cream Butter Swirl Cake
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup firmly packed Dixie Crystals Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*, sifted Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- For dusting Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Butter a 10-inch plain tube pan and dust lightly with flour. Set aside.
- Sift dry ingredients together. Set aside.
- Mix sour cream and vanilla together. Set aside.
- Put softened butter in a large mixing bowl and beat with electric mixer at medium high speed for 3 minutes. Add 3/4 cup sugar and beat again at high speed for 3 minutes. Add remaining sugar and beat for another 3 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat well after each. When all eggs are incorporated, beat at high speed for 3 minutes.
- Reduce speed and beat in 1/2 of dry ingredients, followed by sour cream mixture and then the rest of the dry ingredients, scraping down sides of bowl using a spatula.
- In separate mixing bowl, combine walnuts, brown sugar, and cinnamon, and stir until blended.
- Scrape 1/2 of cake batter into prepared pan. Using a spoon, sprinkle 1/2 of nut mixture into batter. Scrape the rest of the batter into pan sprinkle remaining nut mixture over the top.
- Bake in the lower rack of preheated oven for 55-60 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out and invert onto a rack and cool completely. Sprinkle confectioners sugar over top of cake before serving.
- This recipe first appeared in the Homemade Good News cookbook series, vol V, No. 10, page 4.
- Cake can be baked in a tube pan, bundt pan or springform pan.
- Cake can be flipped to have walnut layer on top instead of bottom.