Sour Cream Twists
- 1 (1/4 oz) package Active Dry Yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110°F - 115°F)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour*, plus more for rolling
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- In a small bowl stir together yeast and warm water. Set aside to allow yeast to dissolve.
- Place flour into a large bowl. Using a pastry blender, or fork, cut butter into flour until combined and mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add in eggs, sour cream, vanilla, and yeast mixture. Stir until a thick, sticky dough forms.
- Cover airtight and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine brown sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Dust a clean counter with flour. Divide dough in half and place half of dough back in the refrigerator.
- Roll half of dough into a 12x8-inch rectangle. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle lightly with 1 1/2 tablespoons of cinnamon sugar. Fold rectangle into thirds.
- Give dough a quarter turn and roll it out again to a 12x8- inch rectangle. Brush with more butter and sprinkle with more cinnamon sugar. Fold it into thirds again. Give another quarter turn and repeat the process one more time.
- Using a knife or pizza cutter, cut dough in half lengthwise, then cut into 4, 1-inch strips. Twist each strips and then place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake at 375°F for 14-15 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough.
Dixie Crystals Insight
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Shelly Jaronsky @CookiesandCups.