Sour Lemon Drops
- Set aside a silicone baking mat or coat a granite or marble surface with a thin coat of vegetable oil (any light flavor will work). Set aside a clean pair of latex gloves, a non-serrated knife, and a large cutting board.
- Mix sugar, corn syrup, and water in a small saucepan, and stir to a boil.
- Once boiling, place a lid on pan for 2 minutes, (trapped steam will wash away any sugar crystals stuck to sides of pan.) Remove lid.
- Absolutely do not stir sugar syrup for the entire cooking process. If using food coloring, add it at 270°F. Cook syrup to 310°F.
- Remove from heat and add flavoring and citric acid. Dip bottom of pan into a large bowl filled with cold tap water for 1 minute.
- Wipe all water from bottom of pan and pour syrup onto silicone or stone surface.
- In about a minute the syrup will have become firmer on the bottom. Using gloved hands, roll-fold mass towards center into itself.
- Continue until sugar mass stops spreading. This will take about 5 minutes.
- Pull mass apart into a rope.
- Transfer onto cutting board and use a knife to cut into drops.
- Roll in powdered sugar and store in an airtight bag.