Southern Classic Chess Pie
Crisp Pie Crust
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, soft
- 2/3 cup Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, no white bitter pith
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1/2 cup milk
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- For the crisp crust, mix butter and powdered sugar using a paddle attachment until well blended. Add egg and mix until well combined. Add salt and vanilla.
- Add flour in one step and mix on low speed until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Press dough evenly flat onto a sheet of plastic food film. Place dough in refrigerator or freezer for at least 30 minutes or until well chilled.
- Set aside an 9-inch pie tin.
- Roll dough onto a sheet of parchment paper or plastic food film. Sprinkle lightly with flour and roll dough into a circle large enough to cover entire pie tin. Place dough into place and remove excess. Press dough into any cracks or tears.
- Prick the bottom of pie crust using a fork and place in oven for about 15 minutes or until light golden. Keep an eye on crust as a bubble may form during baking. Prick it if it does.
- Set baked crust aside and reduce oven temperature to 325°F.
- In a bowl large enough to hold all remaining ingredients, beat eggs until well combined. Vigorously whisk in sugar followed by all remaining ingredients.
- Pour into pre-baked pie shell and place in the oven. Bake until center of pie no longer trembles, about 37 minutes. It may be longer depending on thickness of pie pan.