Southern Style Creamed Corn
- 1/2 cup onion
- 1/4 pound butter
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 sprig thyme
- 2 cups half and half
- 4 pounds canned corn, drained
- 1/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepot, sauté onions in butter until translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add salt, thyme, and half and half. Bring to a boil. Add the corn and granulated sugar. Bring back to a boil, and then reduce heat to a simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- In a cup, mix the corn starch and water to make a slurry. Add the slurry to the pot and stir well. Allow slurry to thicken slightly, and then remove from heat.
- Remove thyme, allowing a few leaves to remain but no stem. Use a large spoon or ladle to remove about half of the corn mixture and place into a blender and pulse until smooth. Add blended corn mixture back into the pot and combine well. Serve warm.
Dixie Crystals Insight
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Susan Whetzel @doughmesstic.