Spiced Chocolate Sandwich Cookies with Pumpkin Cream Filling
- 3 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour*, plus more for rolling
- 2/3 cup Dutch-process cocoa, plus more for rolling
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- Small pinch cayenne (ground red pepper)
- 1 1/2 cups salted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Pumpkin Cream Filling
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup drained pumpkin puree (see note)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powered Sugar
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- To make the cookies, whisk flour, cocoa powder, and spices together. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar for several minutes until combined and fluffy. Beat in eggs, then vanilla, scraping down sides and bottom of bowl.
- On low speed, add flour mixture in three additions. Scrape bottom and sides of bowl as needed. Once combined, divide dough in roughly half, wrap in plastic wrap, and press into discs. Refrigerate 45 minutes.
- Line cookie sheets with parchment. Heat oven to 350°F.
- Combine flour and cocoa to dust rolling surface, rolling pin, and cookie cutter. Roll dough to 1/4”.
- Cut with a 2” round cookie cutter and place on prepared sheet. Freeze shapes for 5-10 minutes before baking. (Place dough back in fridge between batches.)
- Bake for 9 minutes. Let stand on cookie sheet for 1 minute, then remove to cooling rack. Let cookies cool completely.
- To make the filling, beat shortening and pumpkin together until smooth. Mix in vanilla. On low speed, add powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, scraping down bowl as needed. Once combined, increase speed to medium and beat 1 minute more.
- To assemble, use a barely heaping teaspoon of filling (use more if using a larger cutter) to sandwich between two cookies, pressing down slightly. You’ll have leftover filling. Chill cookies to set; bring to room temperature before serving.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to a week.
NOTE: before making cookies, drain pumpkin for the filling. Line a mesh sieve with cheesecloth. Pour one (15 oz) can pumpkin puree into the lined sieve and drain for at least 2 hours, up to overnight. Squeeze excess water from the cheesecloth before removing.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Bridget Edwards @Bake at 350.