Spicy Blueberry Pie
- 7 cups frozen blueberries, defrosted juices retained
- 1 cup (200 g) Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 4 tablespoons (40 g) quick cooking tapioca
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 preferably red jalapeno
- 1 recipe Pure Butter Pie Crust
- In a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients, combine blueberries, sugar, tapioca, lemon juice, and salt.
- Cut jalapeno lengthwise in half and remove all seeds. Chop into very small pieces. For a mellow spiciness, add 2 packed tablespoons of chopped jalapeno. For slightly stronger spice, add a total of 3 packed tablespoons. One thing to remember is that we are not making salsa. We would not recommend adding more than 3 tablespoons of finely chopped jalapeno. Allow to sit for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare pie crust.
- Roll half of pie dough on a lightly floured surface into a circle until it is large enough to cover a deep 9-inch pie pan. Keep remaining dough in the refrigerator.
- Cut away excess dough from sides and set it on an aluminum foil-lined cookie tray for easy cleanup after baking. Set aside. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Transfer blueberry filling into pie shell.
- Roll remaining pie dough about the same size as pie.
- Cut 1/4-inch strips. The blueberry filling is rather liquid, so we do not recommend your use a standard lattice crust. The following is easier: place a strip in the center. Place another strip crosswise over first strip.
- In a clockwise fashion, place another strip crosswise over the previously placed strip. Keep working clockwise to edges of pie.
- Brush lattice with a thin layer of water. Do not use egg wash.
- Press dough trimmings together and roll 1/8-inch thick. Cut circles. Place on edge of pie.
- Brush with another thin layer of water and sprinkle lightly with granulated sugar and place in oven.
- Check pie after about 50 minutes. If the surface of the pie gets too dark, drape it with aluminum foil. Total baking time will be at least 75 minutes. Pie is done when thick bubbles, with similar consistency to honey, are visible on surface (and may even be dripping out of pie).
- Remove from oven. Before serving, sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.
Rate & Review
Log in or Register to post comments