St. Patrick’s Day Irish Cream Chocolate Cupcakes
Irish Cream Chocolate Cupcakes
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup Irish Cream Liqueur
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- 7-8 cups sifted Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 3-4 tablespoons milk or heavy cream**
- White, mint green, leaf green, and forest green gel food colors
- St. Patrick’s Day sprinkles
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare cupcake tins with liners and set aside.
- Sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt, and sugar; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs and buttermilk together. Add in oil, Irish Cream, and vanilla extract. Whisk until smooth.
- Add dry ingredients to buttermilk mixture and combine. Add in hot water in 3 increments while whisking constantly.
- Divide batter between liners, filling 3/4 full. Bake for 20-22 minutes until center of cupcakes bounce back when lightly pressed with a finger, or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Cool in trays for 5 minutes, then move to wire rack to cool completely while preparing frosting.
- To prepare frosting, cream butter until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add vanilla extract and combine.
- Gradually add powdered sugar while mixer is on low, alternating with milk one tablespoon at a time. Add a couple drops white food coloring. Scrape bowl well then whip until very light and fluffy, about 4-6 minutes.
- Divide frosting into thirds. Place first amount (plain white) into piping bag fitted with a 2D piping tip. Place second amount into a bowl and color with leaf green. Place into piping bag with a 104 piping tip.
- Divide remaining frosting between two bowls and color one with mint green and one with forest green. Place mint green frosting into a piping bag fitted with a 6B piping tip. Place the forest green frosting into a piping bag fitted with either a 4B or 32 piping tip.
- Pipe white rosette first, followed by mint green, leaf green and forest green. Add sprinkles.
**Irish Cream Liqueur can be substituted for 1-2 tablespoons of milk, but frosting color will change slightly. An alternative option is Irish Cream Extract.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Terri Truscello Miller from @LoveandConfections.