St. Patrick’s Day Brownies
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 cup cocoa, natural, non-Dutched
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 bag (12 ounces) chocolate chips, 42-50% cocoa (choose chocolate made with pure cocoa butter)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- White Chocolate Mint Topping
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 ounces very good quality white chocolate
- 1 teaspoon mint extract
- 1 drop green food coloring (gel-paste type recommended)
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter a 11 x 8 inch pan. Line bottom and sides of pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Sift together flour, cocoa powder and baking soda and set aside.
- Cut butter in cubes and place in a bowl along with the chocolate. Melt on low in a microwave or set bowl over barely simmering water while constantly stirring. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl whisk eggs until well blended. Add sugar and whisk vigorously for 1 minute until well combined. Add melted chocolate along with salt and vanilla extract and mix to combine.
- Add flour mixture and stir to combine. Spread batter into cake pan.
- Place in oven and bake until center of brownies feels slightly firm when pressed with a finger.
- Allow brownies to cool. Run a knife around edges of pan. Place a sheet of parchment on surface of brownies followed by a large cutting board. Turn upside down and remove pan. Place brownies in freezer for 30 minutes. (Wrapped they can be frozen for a week.)
- Place oil in a small bowl. Chop chocolate in small pieces and add in the bowl. Set bowl on a saucepan filled with about an inch of low simmering water. (Chocolate bowl cannot touch water!)
- Stir until about 2/3 of chocolate is melted. Remove from heat and stir until all chocolate is melted. Add mint and food color.
- Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Remove brownies from freezer and spread topping onto brownies with a metal offset spatula.
- Cut into desired pieces.