Stars and Stripes Cream Cheese Brownies
- Brownie layer
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour*
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 7 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped in small pieces
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Cream cheese layer
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, soft at room temperature
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup raspberry or strawberry jam
- 1 pint blueberries
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spread a thin layer of butter into a 9 x 13-inch deep baking pan. Cut sheets of parchment and place into buttered pan covering entire bottom and sides. Set aside.
- Sift together flour, cocoa powder and baking soda and set aside.
- Combine butter and chocolate in a bowl (large enough to hold all brownie ingredients) and place over saucepan filled with simmering water. Stir chocolate mixture until just melted. Remove from heat.
- Stir in sugar followed by eggs and salt. Once well combined mix in flour mixture. Pour into parchment lined baking pan and place in a refrigerator (to ensure that brownie and cream cheese batter will not marbleize).
- In separate bowl mix together cream cheese and sugar until completely lump free. Add one egg and mix until smooth, add remaining egg and vanilla and mix until combined. Add flour and combine until lump free.
- Remove brownie pan from refrigerator and spread cream cheese batter over the surface.
- Using a spoon or a piping bag filled with jam pipe or spoon thin strips across the cream cheese batter.
- Place in oven and bake until center feels “set” and no longer trembles, about 40-45 minutes.
- Allow to cool before removing from the pan. Tip: Brownies can be cut with a clean edge when first refrigerated.
- Decorate with blueberries.
These much beloved brownies are also delicious when made without jam. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.