Strawberry and Cream Macarons
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 teaspoons heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 pound ripe strawberries, washed and hulled
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- For Strawberry Sauce, chop strawberries and add to a small pot. Add water and sugar. Stir. Bring to a boil and let cook for 5 minutes. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Let cool. Keep in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Prepare Macarons. In a large bowl, whisk together powdered sugar and almond flour until no lumps remain.
- Combine room temperature egg whites and pinch of salt in bowl of an electric mixer.
- Whip egg whites until white and foamy.
- Slowly add in 1/4 cup granulated sugar and increase speed to high.
- Set timer for 15 minutes and let egg whites whip on high until stiff peaks form.
- Whip in 4-5 drops pink gel food color.
- Using a rubber spatula gently fold almond flour/powdered sugar mixture into whipped egg whites.
- Slowly fold and mix until batter is smooth. Batter is ready when it "melts" when drizzled on top of itself.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or use a macaron baking mat.
- Fill a piping bag with the batter, snip the end.
- Pipe 1-inch circles onto baking sheet, leaving 1-inch space between each macaron.
- Tap baking sheet onto counter to remove air bubbles.
- Let macarons sit at room temperature 1 hour before baking.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until they are matte looking and dry to the touch. Test 1 macaron by lifting it gently from baking sheet. If bottom tears apart, bake for 3-5 more minutes and test again.
- Remove from oven and allow macarons to cool completely on baking sheet.
- For Filling, add butter and cream cheese to bowl of mixer. Beat until smooth.
- Mix in powdered sugar until combined and smooth. Whip in vanilla extract. Add heavy whipping cream to thin frosting if needed.
- Pipe filling onto flat surfaces of 1/2 of macarons. Fill centers of each macaron with 1/4 teaspoon of strawberry sauce. Sandwich macarons bottoms with macaron tops.
- Best if stored in an airtight container in refrigerator.