- 2 pints fresh strawberries
- 3/4 cup milk (room temperature, about 72°F)
- 1 large egg (room temperature)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoons honey or additional Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 2/3 cups bread flour*
- 3 tablespoons instant yeast
- 1/4 cup water, lukewarm
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, soft
- Low Sugar Strawberry Fruit Spread
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Wash, dry, and hull strawberries. Slice strawberries in approximately 1/4-inch-thick slices. Place on parchment or silicone and place in a 180°F-200°F oven. Total time in oven will be about 4 hours. Therefore, start step 2 below once strawberries have been in oven for about 3 hours. Strawberries can be made a day ahead and kept refrigerated. Occasionally turn strawberries upside down. The final and desired texture of oven dried strawberries should be similar as a moist dried apricot.
- Bring milk to a boil and let cool until it reaches room temperature. Pour milk in a bowl followed by egg, vanilla, sugar, honey, and salt. Place flour on top.
- Combine yeast with lukewarm water and add the paste to the bowl.
- Using a dough hook mix dough until elastic and smooth, about 5-7 minutes on medium speed. Alternatively knead with hands. Dough needs to be elastic.
- Gradually add pieces of butter to dough allowing it to be fully incorporated before adding next amount.
- Cover bowl with plastic food wrap and set in a warm place and allow dough to rise until doubled in volume, about 60-80 minutes.
- Meanwhile oil or butter a 9x5-inch pan and then line with folded parchment paper. Strawberries tend to stick to pan and parchment paper ensures an easy removal.
- Remove dough from bowl, which will make it collapse. This is normal and is required. Gently knead in (cooled) strawberries.
- Cover dough and set aside for 5-10 minutes.
- Place and press dough evenly dough into pan, dough will look uneven and a bit rough which is okay.
- Cover loosely with plastic food wrap and place in a warm area. Allow to proof until 50-60% larger (not doubled), about 60 minutes. Meanwhile turn on oven to 350°F.
- Carefully brush loaf with beaten egg and place in oven.
- Bake for 53 minutes. If loaf is getting too dark, place a buttered sheet of aluminum foil over bread during baking.
- Allow to cool in pan for 20 minutes and then remove.
- For glaze, combine water and powdered sugar and drizzle over bread.
- Spread with strawberry spread, strawberry cream cheese, or butter.