Strawberry Cupcakes with Lemon Buttercream Frosting
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup ripe strawberries
- 2 sticks (16 tablespoons) unsalted butter, soft
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Few drops red food color (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons strawberry extract
- 1 1/4 cups sour cream
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Sift together flour, baking powder, and baking soda and set aside.
- Cut strawberries in thick slices and then cut in small cubes. (Do not use large pieces as they may sink to the bottom of the cakes.) Cube until you have a generous 1/2 cup strawberries.
- Mix butter until creamy and smooth. Add sugar and mix until light and fluffy. Add one egg at a time and mix well between each.
- Add salt, a few drops of red food color, vanilla, and strawberry extract.
- Add one-third of flour and mix until combined. Add half of sour cream and mix until smooth. Add another one-third of flour and mix smooth. Add sour cream and once combined add remaining flour. Add coconut and strawberry cubes and mix into batter.
- Place paper cups in a muffin tin and fill cups a generous 3/4 full. Place in oven and bake for 20 minutes or until center bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger. Let cool.
- Prepare Lemon Buttercream Frosting.
- Frost cupcakes or pipe on frosting using a piping bag fitted with a large pastry tip.
- Store airtight for up to 2 days.