Strawberry Lemon Chiffon Pie
- 1 1/4 cups graham cracker
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
Lemon Chiffon Pie
- 1 envelope (1 tablespoon) gelatin
- 3 tablespoons water
- 4 egg yolks
- Zest of 1 lemon, no white bitter pith
- 2/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 5 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- Crème Chantilly
- 1 pint fresh strawberries
- 2 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Crush enough graham crackers to obtain 1 1/4 cup. Melt butter and add to crackers along with sugar. Press evenly over entire surface of a 9-inch pie tin.
- Place in oven for about 15 minutes, halfway during baking press crust evenly flat as it will rise. Bake until crisp and set aside.
- Prepare filling: Combine gelatin and water in a small cup and set aside.
- Pour one inch water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
- In a bowl, vigorously whisk together yolks, zest, lemon juice and sugar (1/2 cup). Place over boiling water and whisk mixture until thick and pale and an inserted thermometer reads 165°F. Remove from heat and whisk in gelatin mixture.
- Using a hand held or a stand mixer whip the mixture until it reaches room temperature (low 70°F) and is thick and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl whip egg whites and remaining sugar to fluffy medium peaks but not firm peaks.
- Delicately fold whipped egg whites into lemon mixture.
- Pour into baked pie shell and place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Prepare Crème Chantilly and pipe a border of the cream onto the pie.
- Decorate with strawberries and sprinkle with powdered sugar.