Strawberry Pinwheel Cookies
- 3 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup freeze-dried strawberries
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, soft
- 1 1/4 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid red food color (optional)
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Sift together flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- Using a rolling pin, place freeze-dried strawberries in a zip top bag and crush to powder. Set aside.
- Mix soft butter until no lumps remain.
- Add sugar and once well combined add egg, salt, and vanilla. Mix until smooth.
- Add flour in one step and mix until just combined.
- Divide dough in 2 equal pieces.
- Using one piece of dough, gently mix in food color and strawberry powder.
- Divide vanilla dough into 2 equal pieces and do same with strawberry dough.
- Using your hands, push each piece onto on top of plastic food wrap until it is about 1/4-inch thick.
- Place in refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- Remove a vanilla section of dough from fridge. Without using any flour, roll dough between 2 sheets of plastic food wrap into a 6 x 10-inch rectangle. Set aside.
- Roll one piece of strawberry dough between plastic food wrap in same dimensions.
- Transfer strawberry dough onto vanilla dough. Leave strawberry dough on plastic and flip it upside down onto vanilla dough. Remove plastic.
- Roll dough tightly into a log and place in freezer for 1 hour or overnight.
- Repeat process with remaining dough.
- Preheat oven to 335°F. Cut frozen log into 1/4-inch intervals and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Allow to defrost for about 10 minutes.
- Place in oven and bake until very light golden, about 11-12 minutes.
Rate & Review
Log in or Register to post comments